Transport for London (TFL)
Get around the city with TFL ease.
You will have lots of choices when it comes to getting around London. The tube, buses, bikes, walking - what the best mode of transport is will depend mainly on location, time and destination but it can't hurt to be in the know about all the options at your disposal. Check out the video below where one of our residential assistants walks you through some of the ins and outs of using Transport For London:
Here are a few bits of extra information to help you travel around London like a pro:
- Fares/prices - While prices will vary, you can always get up-to-date numbers from the TFL website for any type of public transport, plus information on how you can pay.
- Student railcards - You'll want to invest in a railcard and/or an Oyster card if you plan on using public transport frequently. Students can save up to 1/3 off travel by getting a 16-25 railcard. You can also apply for an 18+ Student Oyster photocard to save 30% on bus & tram pass season tickets.
- Night buses and safety - You have options late at night to get back to your accommodation safely, you don't need to rely on expensive taxi rides.
- Signal on the tube - You will likely lose signal from time to time on the underground but you can still reliably access the TFL website using your 4G/5G for live updates on times and services. There are some UK phone networks that provide free tube wifi such as EE, Three, Vodafone and O2.
- Hopper fare - Pay adult rate on buses and trams with 'Pay as you go'. Enjoy unlimited journeys for £1.75 with our Hopper fare within 1 hour of tapping in. Use the same card for automatic Hopper fare. If Tube, DLR, etc. are used between Hopper rides, standard fare applies. Hopper is still valid for bus/tram trips within 1 hour.
- Walking - Using your feet to get around may not be the quickest option but it's definitely one of the healthiest for both you, your wallet and the planet. Always check before you travel to see if it's a feasible choice!
- Santander bikes - If you frequently use the Santander bicycles, consider the option of becoming a monthly member at only £20 per month or an annual member for £120. These memberships provide you with limitless 60-minute rides without any additional charges.
You should now know everything you need to traverse London with ease, just watch out for those pesky delays and cancellations...
- Read Next
- Be Social at QM Social - Opening Monday 4 December 2023! Halls December Events Calendar New Year’s Eve Fireworks Movie Night Secret Santa Gift Exchange Southbank Winter Lights & Market Christmas Crafts at the Yurt Music at Queen Mary || Winter Concert Queen Mary Vibes - Win a £30 Voucher for Sharing Your Vibe 16 Days of Activism against Gender-based Violence 2023
- The Residential Services Online Shop How do I get my Residents' Rewards Card? Queen Mary Food pre-paid meal plans - ON SALE NOW! The Queen Mary Zero Waste Shop How to contact Security at Queen Mary Residents’ Winter Ball Tickets Aspire Point 101- Quick Guide to Aspire Point FAQs How to Report Maintenance Issues in Queen Mary Halls Introducing the Residential Welfare Team Receiving post to halls?