The Story of Queenie
Some of you may have already had the pleasure of meeting our resident campus cat Queenie, who lives in the Residences Reception at France House.
She’s a friendly grey and white cat who is a celebrated member of the Queen Mary Residential Services Team.
In August 2021, Queenie was spotted around the University campus scavenging for food from the bins. After several weeks of this, she gained enough confidence to come into the Residences Reception, where staff fed her some proper cat food. She continued to visit us for her meals and shortly after she decided to make Queen Mary her permanent home.
Within the last year, she quickly became popular with staff and students alike, many of whom take time out of their day to stop off at Residences Reception to give her strokes and hugs. Although she may be tempted to visit residents' in their flats, we always remind Queenie of the Residents' Handbook policy that states, pets are not permitted in any of our accommodation building!
For those of you that really love Queenie, you can purchase your very own Queenie souvenir from the Residences Reception.
Current Items available are:
- Postcards of Queenie 4 for £1.00
- Keyrings £3.50 each or 2 for £5.00
- Mugs £7.50
- Jigsaws £7.50
- Combo deal: Mug and Jigsaw for £10
Proceeds help us to continue to look after Queenie.
Students are welcome to come and visit Queenie for cuddles and to celebrate her being a part of the Queen Mary family!
When visiting, please follow Queenie's rules:
1. Please do not feed me
I'm fed regularly by the staff at The Residences Reception. If you'd like to give me a treat, please ask a member of the team.
2. Please do not pick me up
I can sometimes get a little overwhelmed and don't particularly enjoy being picked up. I'll happily take your strokes from where I'm sat though!
3. Please do not take me inside buildings
My home is in the Residences Reception. For my safety, please do not tempt me into, or take me into any other buildings on campus.
Follow my escapades on social media and keep up-to-date on all things Queenie by following the official Residential Life Instagram @qmreslife
- Read Next
- Telephone criminals targeting students How to grab a bargain when supermarket shopping Suhoor Meals for £1 International Women's Day - Movie Night with Queen Mary Venues Day trips from London International Careers Week 26 - 29 February - Get Involved! Deals to grab as a student Genesis Cinema Trip Sexual violence and the impact of trauma LGBTQ+ History Month Events and Initiatives
- The Residential Services Online Shop How do I get my Residents' Rewards Card? Queen Mary Food pre-paid meal plans - ON SALE NOW! The Queen Mary Zero Waste Shop How to contact Security at Queen Mary Aspire Point 101- Quick Guide to Aspire Point FAQs How to Report Maintenance Issues in Queen Mary Halls Introducing the Residential Welfare Team Receiving post to halls? Guarantor scheme with Housing Hand