Top ten money tips to start the new academic year!
Have a look at our tips below and make your money go further!
- Plan your personal budget for the academic year ahead, so you are in control of your finances and don’t have to worry. We have online guidance and spreadsheets to help you with this
- Don’t miss out on money that you are entitled to. Use the funding advice guides on the Advice and Counselling Service website to help you check this
- Buy an NUS (National Union of Students) TOTUM card (from £14.99 a year) to get discounts on a wide variety of shops, restaurants, cinema and travel
- Use our money saving ideas to find out about more discounts and ways to get the best value for your money. Also check out the money saving ideas by Save the Student
- Use Save the Student’s tips to save money on your food shopping. Also try ‘downsizing’ to supermarket own brands. And get the Olio app to look out for free food!
- Compare student bank accounts before choosing the right one for you. Home students can usually open a student account. There is specific information for international students about opening a bank account on the Advice and Counselling Service website.
- To avoid running out of money before the end of the semester, open different bank accounts for different purposes and move money between them at set times. Get advice from the Student Room
- Search online for price comparison websites to get the best deal on whatever you are buying and consider using cashback sites. If you are setting up in new accommodation, see what you can pick up on freecycle
- Make the most of travel discounts such as the 18+ student Oyster photocard, and the 16-25 railcard
- If you are in financial hardship you may be eligible to apply to the Queen Mary Financial Assistance Fund.
- Read Next
- 10 ways to enjoy your time in London Outdoor Cinema: Halloween Special - CASPER Outdoor Yoga Take part in our student study Independent Students Support Group Safe Spaces Introduction to Campus Games Stocks Court Game Night Aspire Point Game Night Postgraduate Games Nights
- Your guide to Floyer House Starting university as an LGBTQ+ student Bloggers & Vloggers Wanted! Collect your Residents' Rewards Card How to contact Security at Queen Mary Our halls guest policy Working together to keep your bathroom and kitchen clean 10 ways to enjoy your time in London Outdoor Cinema: Halloween Special - CASPER Outdoor Yoga