Top ten money tips to start the new academic year!
Have a look at our tips below and make your money go further!
- Plan your personal budget for the academic year ahead, so you are in control of your finances and don’t have to worry. We have online guidance and spreadsheets to help you with this
- Don’t miss out on money that you are entitled to. Use the funding advice guides on the Advice and Counselling Service website to help you check this
- Buy an NUS (National Union of Students) TOTUM card (from £14.99 a year) to get discounts on a wide variety of shops, restaurants, cinema and travel
- Use our money saving ideas to find out about more discounts and ways to get the best value for your money. Also check out the money saving ideas by Save the Student
- Use Save the Student’s tips to save money on your food shopping. Also try ‘downsizing’ to supermarket own brands. And get the Olio app to look out for free food!
- Compare student bank accounts before choosing the right one for you. Home students can usually open a student account. There is specific information for international students about opening a bank account on the Advice and Counselling Service website.
- To avoid running out of money before the end of the semester, open different bank accounts for different purposes and move money between them at set times. Get advice from the Student Room
- Search online for price comparison websites to get the best deal on whatever you are buying and consider using cashback sites. If you are setting up in new accommodation, see what you can pick up on freecycle
- Make the most of travel discounts such as the 18+ student Oyster photocard, and the 16-25 railcard
- If you are in financial hardship you may be eligible to apply to the Queen Mary Financial Assistance Fund.
- Read Next
- Dealing with SAD this Winter Residents’ Qmotion Offer Unmissable London Events – December Gingerbread Decorating Holiday Closure Games Nights Aspire Point Games Night Sherren Games Night Genesis Cinema Trip - Avatar: The Way of Water Stepney Christmas Market Trip Genesis Cinema Trip – I Wanna Dance With Somebody
- The Residential Services Online Shop How do I get my Residents' Rewards Card? THE guide to doing laundry at Queen Mary The Queen Mary Zero Waste Shop - NOW OPEN! How to contact Security at Queen Mary Aspire Point 101- Quick Guide to Aspire Point FAQs Residents’ Winter Ball — SOLD OUT! Cost of LIVING in London Introducing the Residential Welfare Team Eniola's what to pack