Keep your belongings safe on campus
When you're on campus, it's important not only to be aware of your surroundings for your own, personal safety but also for the safety and security of your belongings.
It's therefore worth being aware of certain crimes that can lead to your stuff being stolen so you can do as much as you can to prevent it.
Distraction theft, also known also as table surfing, is a crime in which someone steals something from another person after tricking them into giving attention to something else. This could be by asking for directions, showing you a note or trying to explain something in a foreign language. The people committing this type of crime can come from different backgrounds and walks of life but all have one thing in common - they target strangers who have valuables with them.
While Security Officers patrol all areas of the campus and CCTV cameras allow us to identify suspects, you can also help yourselves by following some simple advice:
- Do not leave any valuable items unattended, even if it is just for a short period to get a book out or grab a coffee.
- Be wary of strangers asking you unusual questions or invading your personal space, especially in learning spaces, libraries or cafes.
- Never lose sight of your electronic devices, they are small enough to be easily removed and hidden by offenders.
- If you do lose anything or believe it might have been stolen, report it to Security immediately - you can find details on how to contact security here.
It can be easy to switch off for just a second, but this can be all it takes for somebody to take your stuff so remember to be mindful of your surroundings wherever you are.
- Read Next
- Be Social at QM Social - Opening Monday 4 December 2023! Halls December Events Calendar New Year’s Eve Fireworks Movie Night Secret Santa Gift Exchange Southbank Winter Lights & Market Christmas Crafts at the Yurt Music at Queen Mary || Winter Concert Queen Mary Vibes - Win a £30 Voucher for Sharing Your Vibe 16 Days of Activism against Gender-based Violence 2023
- The Residential Services Online Shop How do I get my Residents' Rewards Card? Queen Mary Food pre-paid meal plans - ON SALE NOW! The Queen Mary Zero Waste Shop How to contact Security at Queen Mary Residents’ Winter Ball Tickets Aspire Point 101- Quick Guide to Aspire Point FAQs How to Report Maintenance Issues in Queen Mary Halls Introducing the Residential Welfare Team Receiving post to halls?