Cookie Consent by
a close up of a sign

Halls Living

International students: What to bring to uni

By QMResLife 11 Jul 2022

Soon you will be making the big move from home to Queen Mary University! 

But first, have you figured out what you will need to bring with you? 

Here are some essentials you'll NEED to remember:

  1. Documentation
  2. Money
  3. Laptop 
  4. Medication (you could get this in the UK too) - don't forget you'll also need to register with a doctor when you get here!
  5. Photos from home
passport and some money

Most other items can be bought once you arrive, which will save you some luggage space:

  • Bedding (pillows, quilt, sheets) 
  • Stationery
  • Warm clothes
  • Towels
  • Toiletries 
  • Sports kit
  • Cleaning items
  • Kitchen utensils 
  • Books
  • Waterproof raincoat, this is Britain after all... 
  • Coffee, tea, mugs, food

Shops like Wilko, ASDA Living, IKEA and Primark all sell affordable homeware items that you can purchase. Don't forget you can buy a lot of items from our online shop.

There are also some things that you CAN'T bring to uni, so make sure you take a look at the list below to check what you'll be allowed: 

  • Rice cookers or chip fryers
  • Candles, incense sticks, tea lights
  • Smoking equipment, such as pipes and ashtrays
  • Dartboards or weapons of any kind (real or replicas - don't bring them)

Now, all that's left to do is to get packing! 

Popular topics in Halls Living