Arriving in the UK
The countdown is on and soon you'll be arriving here at uni, but before you do here is all the information you need to know if you are arriving from outside of the UK...
All international passengers will have to present a negative Covid-19 test before departing for England. The test can be taken up to 72 hours prior to departure. More information can be found on the Government website.
eGates at the airport
If you are nationals from the following countries you may be directed to enter the UK using the electronic gates (eGates) rather than speaking to the Border Force Officer.
- New Zealand
- South Korea
If you are a national of these countries and have already applied for a visa in your home country and this has been granted as a sticker in your passport (visa vignette), you may enter the UK through the eGates.
Please note: You must keep a copy of your boarding pass/flight ticket as evidence of the date you entered the UK, you will need this in order to enrol at Queen Mary
However, if you have not applied for a visa in your home country and are requesting a short-term Student immigration permission to enter the UK you must not use the eGates as you will need a stamp in your passport from the Board Force Officer.
Please note: You must request a short-term student stamp from the Border Force Officer to be able to study in the UK.
Coming to campus from the airport
Due to COVID-19 we are unfortunately unable to offer an airport pick-up service, however we have got other options for you to choose from to arrive safely on campus;
- If you plan on taking a taxi then we would strongly recommend that you use Greater London Hire who offer a discount exclusively for Queen Mary students. They can be booked via telephone on 020 7490 4222 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information click here.
- London's black cabs can be booked in advance, hailed on the street or picked up from taxi ranks. Minicabs (ordinary cars licensed as taxis) can be booked using the information on TfL’s website or via an app such as Addison Lee. You should never use an unbooked minicab.
- Heathrow Express and Underground: change at Paddington for Hammersmith and City Line
- London Underground: change at Holborn for Central Line
If you are arriving from an amber or red list country please see visit the Gov website for what to do before and after you arrive in the UK. Everyone must complete the Passenger Locator Form, up to 48 hours before you arrive in England. You must complete this form even if you don’t have to self-isolate.
For those living in Queen Mary accommodation please get in touch with the Residential Welfare team at: email@example.com or on +44 (0)20 7882 6470 and they will be able to help you.
If your Tier 4 leave has been granted for more than six months, you'll need to collect your BRP card from your chosen Post Office within 10 days of arriving in the UK. The nearest collection location to the Mile End campus is the Whitechapel Post Office (208A Whitechapel Road, Whitechapel, London, Greater London, E1 1BJ). For students travelling from certain countries who have to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival to the UK, the Home Office has stated that when you arrive in the UK you will not be penalised for being unable to collect your biometric residence permit (BRP) while coronavirus measures are in place. Please check the Advice and Counselling Service website for up to date immigration information.
You may also need to register with the police if you are of a certain nationality (check your visa sticker in your passport, your Biometric Residence Permit or Home Office decision letter). Check the Advice and Counselling Service website for information on how to register.
- Read Next
- 10 ways to enjoy your time in London Outdoor Cinema: Halloween Special - CASPER Outdoor Yoga Take part in our student study Independent Students Support Group Safe Spaces Introduction to Campus Games Stocks Court Game Night Aspire Point Game Night Postgraduate Games Nights
- Your guide to Floyer House Starting university as an LGBTQ+ student Bloggers & Vloggers Wanted! Collect your Residents' Rewards Card How to contact Security at Queen Mary Our halls guest policy Working together to keep your bathroom and kitchen clean 10 ways to enjoy your time in London Outdoor Cinema: Halloween Special - CASPER Outdoor Yoga